Friday, July 2, 2010

Not as Lonely

On my 2nd beautiful family vacation of the summer, I was preparing for a few hours on the boat when one of the stairs gave way causing my foot to break. Stupid, right? It would be such a better story if it involved the words "discoteca.mexico.fog machine." But unfortunately, my story involves loose board, Edisto, and rusty nail. Yeah, obviously not as cool. I had been keeping my niece at the beach when all this took place. Lauren is 3 and my side kick. She worried about me after my tumble down the steps so she crawled in the bed with me and played her Leapster until her mom got there to take her home. I hated to see her leave.

I spent much of the remainder of my vacation on the couch watching the World Cup feeling a little lonely. Not lonely because of the lack of people around, no. Lonely because I wasn't able to hop up and do the things that everyone else were doing. It took me a while to balance on one leg, gather my crutches, and hobble along.

For the holiday weekend my sister, her husband, and their two children went to my parents' house. Today, my mom called to tell me that she was in the process of making a bag of ice for Lauren while she had her foot propped up on pillows in the den. She said she was hurt like her Emmie (that's me) and needed an ice bag. I pictured her set up like a little princess in my parents' den eating a bag of Lucky Charms and sippin' a Capri Sun and suddenly I didn't feel quite as lonely.

1 comment:

  1. She was you. Your own "mini-me". Don't ever assume she's not paying attention. And for sure never ever think she doesn't care.

    ReplyDelete