Friday, July 9, 2010

Hello, Old Friend

When I was 12, I sat in my older brother's room and went through his cd's.  There was this red one that I loved and I listened to the 3rd track on repeat.  Almost every chance I would get, I'd sit in the floor in his room and listen to this album.  I didn't know then how strangely important those moments were.  During those sessions with the red colored album I was starting a relationship that would grow to be far more significant than those creating the music would ever know.

The music was a bond between my brother, my sister, and I.  Our parents never understood our loyalty to the band and maybe that's because our loyalty wasn't as much to the band as it was to each other.  The band became something that was just ours.  Being so much younger than my siblings, these moments were something I treasured.  Every chance we could get, we would drive to hear them play.  My sister and I just smiling and dancing while our favorite songs played.  Our giant brother tap dancing across the lawn around us.  I will forever be grateful to them for including me and showing me the ropes.

I continue to travel to hear the band with my husband who also has a history with the music.  Now I have incredible memories with him as well.  Seeing this band is like seeing a dear old friend.  It is a relationship that stretches beyond the musicians and nuzzles me deep in my soul and I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment