Thursday, January 8, 2015

8 Months New


What a month it has been!  I can't believe you have been a part of our world for 8 months already.  You have changed so much this month.  I may miss something if I don't pay close enough attention.  I feel like I'm holding on to you a bit longer and squeezing you a bit harder.  I want to soak up every breath, every sound, every look, every single second spent with you.
Christmas with you was a blast.  It felt different and new, but familiar all at the same time.  My favorite purchase of the season was a small tree for your room that I could play Christmas music on, and the lights would twinkle with the music.  We decorated it with some of your Daddy's and my childhood ornaments.  We spent a lot of time together playing in your room, and your spirit was infectious.
You're favorite toy of the holiday was a reindeer that was my favorite when I was younger.

On the 22nd, we loaded up our car to the brim and traveled up to Nettie and Papa's house.  I can't help but hear "Over the river and through the woods..."  We spent time loving on our Smith Clan and prepared for the whirlwind that is our annual Christmas Party and your Uncle Gus' birthday on the 23rd.
At the party, you were lively and adorable as always.  You kept that bottom lip tucked in, and let friendly strangers pass you around.  Everyone enjoyed meeting you and said you were beautiful.  You met the big guy and loved his beard (I'm a beard girl, too).  You still seemed a bit skeptical, though.  I like how in this picture you look like you are saying, "Bring me that exersaucer, or else." 
On Christmas Eve, we went to church for the candlelight service.  For as long as I can remember, the candlelight service has been one of the most special things to me about Christmas.  There is something magical about the entire sanctuary being softly lit with candles while we sing "Silent Night."  It was even more magical this year with you in my arms.
We woke up on Christmas Day and found that Santa had, in fact, brought you your very own exersaucer and a swing for the yard.  You wore yourself out playing in your exersaucer and jumping in your jumper that Nettie and Papa gave you.  You fell asleep amidst all of the excitement of Christmas morning and snuggled into your Nettie.


 
After breakfast, we packed up and headed home so that we could celebrate with all of your family on your Daddy's side.  It was wild and crazy, but so much fun to be with everyone for Christmas.  You were wiped out and fell asleep before we could get home Christmas night.  You didn't even wake up when we took you out of your car seat.  

This month you are sitting up all by yourself.  You are laughing...a lot.  You talk and babble a lot, too.  You've started with "Mama," and everyday we work on "Dada."  You have also started waving and clapping.  You tend to love to clap when I am coming towards your face with a spoonful of deliciously pureed baby food.  We always keep a wet cloth handy while eating for this reason.
You are close to crawling.  You have mastered the baby plank (with beautiful form, I might add).  You will get on your knees and rock back and forth, and then do more of a lurch to get to a toy you want. I'm sure you will be crawling by the end of the month, but I'm not so sure that I am ready for it.

This month has been an exciting one for me, but emotional as well.  You are strictly a bottle-fed baby now.  For months, I've wanted someone to tell me it's okay to wean you from nursing.  Plenty of friends and family did, but it still didn't right and I didn't feel ready.  I cherished that time together.  Your sweet snuggles and your hand on my chest are moments that I never took for granted.  I was (am) really torn about this decision.  I never thought I would be.  It was hard work from the beginning and we came a long way together.  I honestly can't believe we made it this far. One day I will tell you all about it and you will probably say, "Gross, Mom."  But I hope that one day you will get it.  When you are snuggled in with your own sweet baby at night wrapped up in the silence with only the soft glow of a night light, I hope then you will get it.  And I hope you will love being with him or her, as much as I do with you.

Happy 8 months, my sweet.  You are perfect in every way.
8 Months
Our monthly shots with Flapjack, the bunny, have resorted to this.
Say what?!
Angel Baby

No comments:

Post a Comment