Tuesday, May 10, 2011

All Love

This mother's day my mom gave me a card.  Very strange, I thought, considering that I have not had the privilege of producing her any grandchildren to date.  But when I read the card and what she wrote, I realized that I do come as close as I can to being a mother 5 days a week- even if it is to someone else's child.  When I stop to think about all those emotions that I have day in and day out with these children, I do see that I tend to regard them as my own.  They bring me laughter, tears, and sometimes disappointment.  But tonight, my boys made me proud.

At their orchestra concert, I watched with a smile the size of Texas plastered on my face as they stroked their instruments perfectly to create music- really beautiful music (in a somewhat off-key sort of way).  Like a crazy mama, I clapped the loudest and the longest.  I even yelled out a "Bravo" at the end when I gave a standing ovation.  They were naturals!  After they finished, they all ran up to give me a hug.  Then I hugged their parents who introduced me to every auntie, cousin, granny, sister, and friend that had come to be as proud of my boys as I was.  It was a great feeling- another emotion- and it made me think of mom's card.  With all of the emotions these kids bring on me, I know the only reason any of it matters is because of love.  And I really do love my children- all of them- just like any crazy mama would.

4 comments:

  1. That is how I hope (I know) John Lawrence's teacher feels about him. I love to hear teachers feel this way. That is why you all have the most important job in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before one can teach the mind, one has to reach the heart...and you have. Such fortunate children, these who have known you as their teacher and who have come to love you beyond the natural barriers that might have kept you separate. You already are a mother in the most powerful way. I am so, so proud of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. big. gulp. swallowed. im so proud of you and i could bust wide open.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Emily... I LOVE this post. I also recently went to my students' band and chorus concert. I was quickly reminded why I love my job so much!! You're a great writer.

    ReplyDelete